Volunteers are essential to our work. Last year alone we had 233 volunteers contribute over 15,900 hours on projects including translations, mobile apps, impact analysis, the HealthWiki, marketing, and social media. Get to know our volunteers!
If you’re looking for a fun way to get involved, we have volunteer opportunities ranging from researching topics for new books to expanding our digital reach to packing books to send around the world. We are also open to your ideas for how you can contribute! You’ll gain valuable experience with a non-profit publisher working for social justice. Most volunteers must be able to work in our Berkeley, CA office. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fracking Research Volunteer
Hesperian is seeking a fracking research volunteer. The volunteer will work closely with staff to help do background research for several resources, including an extended annotated bibliography for activists and scientists and a pamphlet about the health effects of living near fracking sites.
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. We are asking for an initial commitment of 3-5 hours/week for at least 3 months, which can be performed either at our office in downtown Berkeley, or remotely. Volunteers must also be willing to participate in weekly check in meetings.
- Compile research and write an annotated bibligraphy of fracking research
- Reach out to activist organizations to learn more about their work
- Work with staff to develop content
- Other projects according to need and interest
- Read and Analyze scientific studies, articles, and up-to-date data on fracking
- Strong interest in environmental health
- Attention to detail
- Scientific literacy in a relevant area such as Geology, Environmental Health, or Chemistry
- Strong writing skills
- Interest in Hesperian’s mission
If you are interested in joining our team, please send a resume and short cover letter (including an estimate of how much time you think you could devote to the project each week) to email@example.com with the subject line: Fracking Research Volunteer. Position will remain open until filled.
RPCV Outreach Volunteer
We are looking for a volunteer who was formerly with the Peace Corps to help strengthen our ties to the RPCV community. Based on individual interests and experience, responsibilities will include:
- Assisting in managing Hesperian’s “Friends of Where There Is No Doctor” Facebook page
- Researching opportunities to connect further with the Peace Corps and RPCV communities and other international development networks
- If interested, assist in developing a Hesperian Young Professionals group
- Develop ideas for events and promote organizational events
- Represent Hesperian at external community events, including but not limited to RPCV events
- Interview and record experiences from other RPCVs about their service and their use of Hesperian materials
- Draft blogs and other communications materials of interest to RPCVs and related to Hesperian’s work.
We are looking for someone who can work from our Berkeley office or remotely 1-2 days per week, for 2-5 hours each day. Schedule is flexible, but we prefer a commitment of at least 4 months. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Google AdWords Volunteer
We are seeking a volunteer to work with staff on increasing the effectiveness and reach of our non-profit Google AdWords account. With resources in over 80 languages on topics ranging from disability health to workers’ safety, we hope to expand our scope to reach even more of the people who need our accessible health resources.
- Audit our existing AdWords structures
- Improve on our AdWords account by reorganizing and creating new campaigns, editing existing ads, and drafting new ads
- Expand our AdWords using new keywords compatible with both our printed materials and online resources
- Document our impact through Google Analytics and AdWords reports
- Strong interest in global health
- Attention to detail
- Interest or experience in quantitative research
- Experience with Google AdWords
- This is an unpaid, volunteer position.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send a resume and short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Google AdWords Volunteer. Position will remain open until filled.
We’re looking for a book packer to help us with shipping books, once a week, on either Tuesdays or Wednesdays (your choice). The shifts are flexible, starting at any time between 11am and 1pm, and working for about two hours. You must be able to stand for two hours, and lift boxes of books which can weigh up to 30 pounds. Attention to detail is of primary importance. We’ll train you in safe lifting, how to pack books, and how to use our shipping computer. We’re looking for people who can make a commitment of at least four months. If interested, please call Kiriyo Spooner at 510-845- 4507, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foundations Development Volunteer
We are seeking a volunteer to assist with identifying new funding sources. Hesperian continues to expand our collection of books and resources so that our clear health resources cover more topics and are available in additional formats. To fund these efforts we are seeking new grants from foundations.
We are looking for a volunteer who can research potential funders, compile and organize funding research, and assist with writing letters of inquiry to reach out to these funders. The position will also include some data entry and other tasks as agreed on in advance. Our ideal volunteer is comfortable doing internet research and has an interest in global health. Previous experience in development or fundraising is a great asset also, but not required.
The position offers a chance to develop skills and knowledge related to public health, development, non-profit management, and global issues. Hours and specific tasks are flexible but we hope to find someone who would like to volunteer for more than a month.
If you are interested in joining our team, please send a resume and short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line: Foundations Development Volunteer. Position will remain open until filled.