Nonprofit progressive publisher Hesperian Health Guides, best known for our landmark book Where There Is No Doctor, seeks an Editorial Director to lead the development of our print and digital publications. The Editorial Director is responsible for ensuring that the content and presentation of publications further Hesperian’s mission of health justice, and are empowering and medically correct. This hands-on editorial position works with and supervises 7 staff, including writers, editors, production designers and contractors. Together they ensure projects develop within a collaborative model involving staff, community members, and experts, and are completed within multi-year time-lines and budgets. The Editorial Director leads processes to determine what short- and long-form health resources are needed by the audiences Hesperian serves. Current publication projects address: Seizures and Epilepsy, Fracking and Plastics, Community-based Mental Health Promotion, and apps on safe abortion, safe pregnancy and contraception. The Editorial Director reports to Hesperian’s Executive Director.
- Oversee the development of new and maintenance of existing print and digital publications through:
- Supervision of staff and contractors and management of processes to create print and digital publications, ensuring work progresses in alignment with organizational mission, time-lines, workplans and budgets.
- Supervision of Spanish-English Bilingual Editor and management of processes to create and update Spanish-language content for print and digital publication.
- Supervision of Digital and Updates Editor and management of processes to maintain updated print and digital content in English, Spanish and other languages.
- Management of graphic designers to ensure effective communication consistent with organizational style and philosophy.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and other staff, board, and partners to determine needs for new health resources and the feasibility of their development by Hesperian.
- Work closely with the Digital Projects Director on the development and updating of Hesperian’s reproductive health apps.
- Serve on Hesperian’s Management Team, providing input into strategic planning, budgeting, organizational development and culture. Ensure effective collaboration and communication between editorial and other activities.
- Communicate status and progress of editorial projects to the Executive Director and the Board of Directors.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Commitment to the Vision & Mission of Hesperian
- 5+ years of experience in leading the development and production of long- and short-form editorial projects in print and digital media
- Commitment to collaborative teamwork
- Experience in all types of editing, from developmental to proofreading
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Experience developing and managing budgets, as well as hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel
- An understanding of and (ideally) experience in community health and development efforts in both the Global North and Global South
- Ability to work in our Oakland office at least 2-3 days per week.
Ability to write and edit in English. Fluency in other languages, particularly Spanish, is a plus.
Benefits & Compensation: $79,000 – $95,000 annual starting salary depending on experience. Benefits include: Medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) plan, paid vacation and personal days, professional development opportunities, and generous family leave policy.
Location: “Hybrid,” with a mix of at-home and in-office work at our Oakland location.
About Hesperian: Hesperian Health Guides is a non-profit organization providing information and educational tools to help people around the world take greater control of their health and lives, and works to eliminate the underlying causes of poor health. For 50 years, Hesperian has joined with like-minded organizations and movements to promote health justice globally.
To apply: Interested candidates should send a resume and a cover letter to: Hesperian, ATTN: Editorial Director. Email: [email protected]. No phone calls, please.
Hesperian is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit. Hesperian policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed or religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US. Hesperian is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Hesperian has many opportunities for volunteering. To learn about our available volunteer positions, please visit our Volunteer page.