Director of Finance and Administration
Hesperian seeks a Director of Finance and Administration to support our growing organization! As Director of Finance and Administration, you will be responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the organization, manage our human resources and benefits program, and support our book sales and other administrative activities.
The Director of Finance and Administration works closely with and is a member of Hesperian’s Management Team, reports to and partners closely with the Executive Director, and participates in meetings with the Board of Directors. This position supervises the Staff Bookkeeper/ Accountant and Fulfillment Coordinator, and a varying number of contractors, interns and volunteers.
Location: Hesperian’s office is in Berkeley/ Oakland, California. Ability to work a hybrid schedule with in-person presence at Hesperian office is preferred.
Financial Management (45%)
- Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring, including implementation of sound financial management practices and internal controls.
- Manage Hesperian’s financial assets according to directions from the Executive Director, Hesperian’s Treasurer and/or the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage organizational cash flow and prepare forecasting.
- Lead annual budgeting process, working closely with the Executive Director and other managers to assure the appropriate participation, integration, and transparency of the process; prepare periodic projections of income and expenses throughout the year.
- Lead the annual audit preparations and coordination with Hesperian’s auditor for audit, tax filings, etc.
Human resources management (35%)
- Manage and oversee the human resources functions, including recruitment and hiring, diversity, equity and inclusion practices, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, new employee orientation and employee retention strategies.
- Manage benefits’ programs (Flex Spending, 403B, Life Insurance, Health, Dental, etc.)
- Develop and update organizational policies and procedure documentation, support compliance with personnel policy/ procedures.
- Coordinate annual staff performance review process.
Sales and Revenue Generating Activities (10%)
- Oversee sales data management including use of sales/accounting software.
- Manage bids and invoicing for contracted partnerships.
General Administration and Legal (10%)
- Oversee all administration functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
- Oversee risk management and legal activities, including: business and property insurance, contracts, leases and other legal documents and agreements.
Minimum of 5 years of non-profit financial management experience.
Proven leadership in managing budgets with multiple restricted income sources, producing financial reports and ensuring up to date and accurate record-keeping and reporting
Experience managing performance reviews and evaluations as well as implementing HR policies for a staff of at least 10 employees
Commitment to social justice, understanding of the issues and politics of community and international health and development
Enthusiasm for and commitment to Hesperian’s work, mission and philosophy
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, exempt position with a starting salary of $80,000 to $88,000 depending on experience. Excellent benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, 403(b) plan, paid vacation and personal days, professional development opportunities and generous family leave policy.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to: Hesperian, ATTN: Director of Finance and Administration. Email: [email protected] No phone calls, please.
Hesperian is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions based on merit. Hesperian policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, creed or religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US. Hesperian is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
Hesperian has many opportunities for volunteering. To learn about our available volunteer positions, please visit our Volunteer page.